What is Trulicity?
Trulicity® (Dulaglutide) is a once-a-week, injectable medicine indicated to manage type 2 diabetes or to reduce the risk of future cardiovascular events in people with type 2 diabetes.
It mimics the action of GLP-1, and naturally occurring hormone that helps to regulate blood glucose levels. By binding to and activating the GLP-1 receptor, this medicine stimulates insulin secretion and lowers glucagon secretion, when the blood glucose levels are high. It also causes slowing down in how fast the stomach empties. In addition, it promotes satiety by direct actions on the satiety centers in the brain. This combination of mechanisms, help lower the glucose levels in the blood and promotes weight loss.
What are the side effects of Trulicity®?
Because of its mechanism of action, Trulicity® may cause nausea or vomiting in some patients. In most cases, the nausea is mild and resolves after a couple of doses. We asked her patients take an extra 5 minutes per meal and slow down a bit during the first week or two. Some patients get mild constipation or bloating. Rarely, pancreatitis may occur. This is a rare side effect but can be serious. If you experience severe and persistent upper abdominal discomfort while taking this means, stop and call your physician.
Who should not take Trulicity®?
Trulicity should not be used in patients with a history of thyroid cancer, family history of an uncommon thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid cancer or those with MULTIPLE ENDOCRINE NEOPLASIA, type 2. Animal studies reported thyroid C—cell tumors and rats given Trulicity (just like other GLP-1 agents). This has not been reported in any human studies.
What are the available doses of Trulicity?
Usually, the starting dose is 0.5 mg injected weekly. The dose can be increased every 4 weeks, if there are no side effects, until the desired effect is obtained. The next dose is 1.5 mg weekly. For those who need higher doses, a 3 mg and a 4.5 mg weekly dose is also available. These pens are disposable and deliver one dose only. You will get four (4) pens per month
How to use the Trulicity® Pen?
- Wash your hands
- Take the Trulicity pen out
- Uncap the pen by pulling the grey base cap straight off and throw it away.
- Clean the injections site with alcohol. Possible injection sites include the abdomen and the outer thigh
- Please the clear base flat and firmly against your skin so that the pen is at a 90° angle to your skin.
- Unlocked by turning the lock ring until you see the unlock sign
- Now press and hold the green injection button. You will hear a loud click. Continue holding until you hear a second loud click. Usually, this takes about 5 to 10 seconds. You will not see the needle and feel a slight sting.
- Remove the pen from your skin
- Dispose of the used pen using a sharps disposal container. You may use a household container that is made of a heavy-duty plastic material in can be closed with a tightfitting cap
We are not your healthcare provider, and your use of this website does not establish a patient-client relationship. All the information contained on this website is for informational purposes only. No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice (diagnosis, treatment, testing or nutritional information). Always seek the advice of your physician or qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding medical or health-related conditions or treatment. Your healthcare provider knows your condition or situation well and can give you specific advice which would be appropriate for your condition/situation. Your healthcare provider can also guide you more accurately about injection techniques, dietary interventions and the use of medical technology that is most pertinent and suitable for you. Please do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you may have read on this website.